Not only is today my favorite day of the week, but it is also the beginning of something I look forward to all year – Girl’s Weekend!
Twice a year, my church takes a group of awesome chics for a “retreat” somewhere far, far away from home. O.K. its usually just at a state park or something in the area, but it feels like a world away! In celebration of this super cool tradition, I thought I would dedicate this Friday’s blog to the top 5 reasons I soooooo enjoy this weekend.
1. I am away from home for a WHOLE weekend! That in itself is an extremely valuable factor.
2. I am away from home for a WHOLE weekend without kids = no cartoons, no changing poopies, no making breakfast, lunch and dinner for picky eaters, no refereeing sibling cage fights, and no jumping up and responding to the never ending quest for apple juice, snacks or something fun to do.
3. Relax and rejuvenate. Sometimes I think we get so caught up in the day to day, we forget to take a little time for ourselves to recharge our batteries –mentally, physically and spiritually. This weekend gives us ladies a full weekend to focus only on that, with no interruptions.
4. Good ol’ fashioned girl time. Man, do I miss this. Seems as I’ve gotten older and our family has grown, it has gotten harder and harder to spend time with my girls. When I was younger, friends were such a huge part of my daily life, and although they are still really important to me, I am just not able to spend as much time with them as I would like. This weekend is a way for me to spend some time with some of my favorite girls and not feel a bit guilty or totally distracted.
5. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Being separated from my family for a whole weekend is the best medicine for reminding us how much we appreciate each other. Needless to say, by the time I get home, my husband has a whole new respect for me and all I do as a “mom.” My kids greet me at the door with arms wide open and so much to say I can’t understand a word! Most important to me, this retreat is just enough time for me to genuinely miss my boys (the little ones and the big one!). After a little break, I feel I am a better mom and wife, and after these last couple of weeks, I think my husband is ready for that!